What’s going on with me right now? This page seeks to answer that question.
- Over the holiday period I’ve begun sinking a lot of time into chess. I’ve got a lot to learn but I’m have a great time. I’m playing on lichess.org. Feel free to challenge me → michhimself on lichess
- I’ve recently been tuning in to DI.FM Nu Disco for the day’s soundtrack.
- Watching Hanna season 3; I’m a big fan of how they’ve built on the ideas of the 2011 movie of the same name.
- Watching The Expanse season 6. I love me some hard sci-fi.
- Recently finished watching the shows Money Heist and Humans, and more recently The Queen’s Gambit. All great stuff. The Queen’s gambit has some beautiful sets and camerawork.
- I’m about a fifth of the way through the book A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin. Once I finish that one I’ll start reading the books behind the The Expanse, starting with Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey.
These are things I’m putting my time into at the moment.
Building a workshop
My fiancee and I bought a home after almost 10 years of renting, in late spring 2021. The house has a freestanding double garage, which in our opinion as makers, is a lot of space entirely wasted on putting car(s) in it.
We’ve sectioned off a large portion of the space, leaving some room in the front to open the gates, and to store things like garden equipment and bicycles.
I have been posting some sets of photos on my Instagram page as work progresses, if you’d like to take a look.
Work completed so far
- Had screed floor poured to level the floor (the only thing we didn’t DIY)
- Built wooden framework against the brick wall
- Ripped out old lighting / sockets cabling, and built new cabling for many more sockets + better lighting
- Cut a hole in the wall and installed a side door leading to our patio
- Put in insulation in framework, ceiling
- Installed vapour barrier
- Plasterboarded the ceiling + walls. (Hired a board lift to do the ceiling, which was a great help)
- Installed light fixtures, sockets, light switches… which will temporarily have to come out again.
- Applied a layer plaster skim over the plasterboard on walls and ceiling
Work left to do:
- Smooth out plaster were needed with sanding
- Paint walls, ceiling
- Re-install sockets, lighting, switches
- Install addressable RGB LED strip all around the room under the ceiling, possibly in some fancy coving; Wiring and power supplies for these are already installed.
- Tile the floor
- Install skirting boards
- Install some ventilation (extraction fan + ventilation grill, details TBD)
- Set up workbench and other things going in there
Trying my hand at game development
After following a very brief tutorial that had been sitting in my bookmarks for a long time, I’ve started developing a simple 2D space shooter game, reminiscent of the “Space Impact” game I used to play on my Nokia 3410 back in the day.
I’m using Kotlin, which I’m already very familiar with. This means I can focus my energy on thinking up the architecture. This projects is also giving me an excuse to do some sound design and even produce some of my own artwork.
come up with is pretty inflexible, so it needs a bit of a rethink.
Here’s a demo of what I have so far. The menu system and controls assignment is the latest big thing to be finished.
This project is a bit on hold because I realised the level design system I’ve
I’m still working at DI.FM after 9+ years; working on our Android applications using Kotlin, a modern programming language I’ve grown very fond of.